Injection molding is a production method making a variety of industrial products or constituent parts. Here is a small focus of Sd Stampi, a company dedicated to polyurethane molds, in Modena.
Injection molding is congenial for making products using various types of plastic materials, mixing them with inserts of different materials.
The first machines used for injection molding date back to 1923. They were built in Germany. Injection molding is today among the most used methods for processing plastics, especially in the aerospace and automotive sectors.
The injection molding process consists of at least four stages:
- Design: everything starts from the idea, which is assessed with a series of technical proposals and alternative solutions and through construction drawings.
- Prototype construction: a prototype of a mold is made of steel or aluminum, which is built taking into account the characteristics of the material to be injected and the press.
- Injection: the mold is placed in the press. Then the material is inserted in granular form, which is melted and injected into the mold.
- Cooling: The product is cooled and then extracted from the press through specific extractors. The process is complete.
Through the injection molding of plastic materials, the following can be realized:
- Components for the automotive sector.
- Elements for the motorcycle industry.
- Technical inserts for household appliances or other sectors.